Thursday, March 22, 2012

Run Jozi

Their is no better way to learn valuable life lessons than to take up distance running. No matter how competitive or social you are, the roads are always willing to teach you a lesson. We all remember our first season as a teenager, pushing too hard early on and walking across the finish line. We soon learnt to ease into a race, wisely knowing that its better to finish strong. And then their is always that granny with spandex and makeup who will pass you on the hill. But we soon learn to swallow our pride and let her arthritic frame shuffle by. All the better for your race time.

And I think that's the most important lesson to take away from running. You alone determine what time will greet you at the finish line. You alone decide how much to put in, cause what you put in you get out.

And this is what I took away from RunJozi. Having not run for nearing six months, I lined up at the start line with the racing snakes ready to go. My Cancerthon shaved head blended right in. I looked the part! The excitement built as fireworks were releases and loud music filtered through the streets. A small storm added to  the energy as we nervously shifted around in our pens. 

Finally the masses were unleashed.

As we slowly snaked our way across Nelson Mandela Bridge, the pace quickened. But I didn't.
 I quickly realized that projected time and actual time were most definitely going to have a discrepancy. So thanking my lucky stars that I hadn't told anyone that I had been planning to break the 10Km world record, I settled into a easy pace and enjoyed the atmosphere.

And what an experience it was. Running over the brightly lit Nelson Mandela Bridge we quickly descended into almost complete darkness. Most of the race would be run in these eerie conditions.The locals greeted us with bemused looks that quickly turned into smiles and whoops of encouragement.

The route took in most of the major landmarks surrounding the city center, but I barely remember seeing them. I was too busy experiencing the amazing camaraderie and passion between runners and locals, welcoming us into their home.

The finish was a welcome relief for my stiff legs and I swiftly found a small bench within view of the finish to watch my sister and her boyfriend come across the line. All in all the race was very well organised and considering it was the first year of it being held, the organizers can be proud of their effort. 

Running safely through Joburg at night? easily doable. 
Getting ten thousand people into lumo green t-shirts of ill fitting sizes? A minor miracle.

Well done Nike, you did the impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment